Thursday, May 19, 2016

Conquering The Hill


     Living on Capitol Hill is incredible. Until you realize you have to walk up The Hill. Walking back after a long day at work or trying to finish strong on an evening run, The Hill is a huge obstacle. Your calves burn and you’re short of breath as The Hill tires even the fittest of climbers. The Hill could be symbolic of the uphill struggles that I think many of us are going to encounter this summer. Although we may be out of breath, we always make it to the top. 

                Walking is part of the culture here in Washington. I’ve learned to enjoy my twenty-five minute walk to work, which I would hardly consider anywhere else. My walk allows me to pass the hundreds of beautiful plants in the Botanical Gardens or the towering Bartholdi Fountain. Walking alongside the mall allows me to see how this city connects people as they congregate on The Mall or wait in line at the various museums. The Capitol complex is a joy to walk through on my walk, although it is crowded by throngs of school groups and giddy students. My way to work is enjoyable but it’s incomparable to all the other places the sidewalks of DC can take you.

                We’ve walked down Embassy Row to Estonia and through Denmark, we’ve conquered the turns and hills of the National Zoo and we’ve admired the art of the Renwick. And it’s hardly been two weeks. I’ve come to terms with my aching back and perpetually sore feet. I consider it as part of the experience and wear it as a badge of pride. At the end of each night my roommates and I take out our phones which so handily track our steps and miles travelled. So far, I have taken over 200,000 steps and gone over 90 miles. This small competition of who can go the distance is fun but I appreciate how it pushes us to really explore the city in the best way possible: by foot.

                 This summer has just started and from here, it’s an uphill climb. But, as I’ve learned from trekking to the top of The Hill, it will inevitably come to an end. Whatever successes, emotions or stories come at the end will be determined but I’ve come to enjoy the climb, as well as the incessant walking. At the end of each day I can say that I’ve conquered The Hill so come the end of summer I can’t wait to see what else I’ve conquered.
 - Tyler Osborne

No comments:

Post a Comment