Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Make New Friends, But Keep the Old

On the day we moved in, I felt like a freshman again. I had the ~unavoidably~ awkward introduction to my new roommate when we met in the airport, met all the students and their families as we lugged all of our belongings into the house, and had to say goodbye to my family who acted as if I’d never return home again. And turns out, maybe I won’t.

            Of course, I’ll make an effort to visit my family to see them for major life events and holidays, but after spending some time in DC, I am more determined than ever to officially move out after graduation. To me, being thrown into WAIP with 31 strangers sounds intimidating. I honestly had no idea what to expect moving into a house with SIXTEEN girls, and sharing the common room between eight of us!!

Turns out, my roommate Sharon is awesome and super easy to get along with, along with the rest of the girls. Most of the WAIPers didn’t know each other going into this, so it helped that everyone made an effort to get to know each other right off the bat. Being a month in, we have already organized so many group outings and have really gotten to know everyone in this short amount of time. Although I consider myself rather outgoing, WAIP has presented the opportunity to distance myself from the friend group I’m attached to at school and meet an entirely new group of people. Despite not knowing what I was getting into, I’ve made a whole new group of friends I would otherwise never have met!

Pictured: lots of the WAIPers on a self-organized outing to Arlington Cemetery!

Cassidy

No comments:

Post a Comment