Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Cherry Blossom Festival 2018


Cherry Blossom Festival 2018
Kaitlyn Holmecki 

Hello again fellow WAIPers! For my second blog post I will be talking about some of the fun things that I have gotten to experience while in DC. Specifically, fun activities that are a part of DC’s Cherry Blossom Festival.
This year the Cherry Blossom Festival was held from March 20th to April 15th. One of the Festival’s largest events is the Blossom Kit Festival. A couple of weeks ago I had the opportunity to experience the excitement of this kite festival. My roommate Kate and I decided to walk from our house down to the Mall where people of all ages were flying kites. The weather was gorgeous so we decided to take a seat on a bench and watch all the kites. Over the next hour or so, Kate and I watched kites of all shapes, sizes, and colors soar through the sky and fall to the ground, and of course we watched the kites that never could make it off the ground. Even though we did not have kites of our own to fly around, we still enjoyed the opportunity to sit in the sun and watch the kites fly around the Washington Monument.
Another fun event was Petalpalooza. On Saturday night, a few other WAIPers and I took the Metro down to the Wharf to wander around interactive art installations, a beer garden and pop-up game tents, all while listening to live music. At the end of the evening there was a spectacular firework show! That was definitely my favorite part of the event.
The Cherry Blossom Festival is one of the many perks of choosing the spring semester to do WAIP. I hope that future spring WAIPers take the opportunity to partake in this wonderful festival. 











No comments:

Post a Comment