Saturday, December 8, 2012

Just an Average Day on Capitol Hill


Two weeks ago, I had the good fortune of attending two fantastic events on the same day! The first was the Wounded Warrior event at the Supreme Court.  The Wounded Warrior Project is a great group that helps injured veterans get the care that they need, as well as raise awareness for veterans’ needs.  I had heard of the WWP because of their various fundraisers, but I had never had the chance to actually see one of their programs for veterans until that day.  Around 15 veterans arrived in the morning and were treated to tours and lectures for them and their families, all capping off with a reception held in their honor.  Several of the Justices were in attendance and spent a lot of time meeting with veterans and talking about their experiences.  One family I became particularly fond of consisted of a veteran, his wife, and their two young daughters.  All were excited to meet and talk with the Justices, but the eldest girl was so excited to meet the female Justices.  She learned that she shared literary interests with a few of the female Justices and was encouraged in her studies.  The youngest daughter liked meeting the Justices, but was a little wary of the Chief Justice because “he’s the boss.” Once she gained the courage to actually meet him, they became fast friends and shared a picture together.  This event was incredible to me because I got to meet a great group of heroes, as well as meet more of the Justices I hadn’t previous met, and see the interactions between the two.  Events like these make me even more thankful for those who serve our country, as well as for my internship because it has afforded me incredibly opportunities like this one. 

The second event I attended (late, I might add—sorry!) was the lunch with Senator Glenn and his wife, Annie.  Both were articulate and funny, sharing stories of the Senator’s time in Congress and Space, as well as Mrs. Glenn superior skill on the flight simulator.  The Senator gave us Fellows tips on working in government and we were able to get all of our burning questions answered. 
I can say that I have never met so many interesting people in one day, and I’m sure that record won’t be broken anytime soon.  Between the Senator, the Justices, and the veterans, I spent the day in awe of their great accomplishments, as well as down-to-earth natures.  I can only hope that one day I will be able to inspire others, as they have inspired me. 

-Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment