Sunday, February 3, 2013

Politics and Prose


A friend who studied in D.C. for a semester last year told me that I should definitely try to make it to the bookstore Politics and Prose while I’m here. She also recommended going when there was an event involving an author speaking at the store. I went on the website and looked up their calendar of events, and was surprised to see the number of authors that come to speak at the store... there is an event almost every day! I chose one that sounded interesting, and set off on Saturday morning for the store. Because of some metro delays, I made it just in time to hear Louis Michael Seidman, a Professor of Law at Georgetown University, start speaking about his new book, On Constitutional Disobedience. His main argument in this work is that because our country is so radically different from the way it was in 1776, we should no longer follow the Constitution. Because this is such a bold and controversial argument, many lawyers were at the event, and asked very tough and intelligent questions during the Q & A time at the end. After the event, I walked around the store and was even able to purchase a book that I had been looking for. Overall, it was a great experience, and I felt that it was a setting that one could only find here in Washington, D.C. 

-Erika

No comments:

Post a Comment