Monday, October 7, 2013

Watching Football

One of the first things I did when I found out I would be spending fall semester in DC was attempt to determine where I could watch the Buckeyes and the Browns on Saturdays and Sundays.  There was no way I could sit out a semester of watching my favorite teams play.  Luckily, both teams have great bars that provide a fantastic watching environment. 

The big Ohio State bar in Washington is Rhino's Bar and Pumphouse in Georgetown.  They also are the official bar for Penn State, the Red Sox, and the Philadelphia Eagles.  We have been there for all the Ohio State games so far except Wisconsin, which almost all of the Glenn Fellows went back to Columbus for.  They have 25 cent wings, which are fantastic, and a huge crowd of Buckeye fans.  I have seen friends from grade school, and even made friends with people who went to the same high school as me, albeit ten years earlier.  The best part of all has been that the Buckeyes have won every game. 

Now the Browns games are a whole different animal.  The Washington, D.C. area Browns Backers are housed at Regional Food and Drink in Chinatown.   The first game of the season there were over 200 people there to watch the Browns play.  It is like someone dropped a slice of Cleveland into the back room of a DC bar.  "Here we go Brownies" chants are heard throughout the game, they have Great Lakes on tap for cheap prices, and when we win, you would think it was the Super Bowl.  Ryan and I have made some good friends there, and last week I even won the halftime trivia contest.  While the food here is not stellar, the atmosphere is great.  The Browns Backers are the largest sports fan club in the world, and when you go to RFD you can see why.

Both environments make for some great Saturdays and Sundays, but I have to give the edge to RFD.  Nothing beats a bunch of crazy Browns fans, no matter where in the world you are.


Tom McGraw

No comments:

Post a Comment