Sunday, November 26, 2017

What going home to Ohio taught me about D.C.

What going home to Ohio taught me about D.C.
By Abby Vesoulis

My time as a John Glenn Fellow in the Washington Academic Internship Program is coming to an end in less than three weeks. I had the blessing of going home to Columbus, Ohio for Thanksgiving – it was the first time I had been back all semester, and the only time I got to see my college friends in months. I was looking forward to it for days, maybe even weeks.

While it a was a much needed break from the stresses of writing a 25-page research paper and working close to full-time at my internship, I was eager to head back to the District by Sunday morning. I think that’s because D.C. is becoming what I think of as “home.”



Already, some friends and I have begun searching for apartments to move into and jobs to apply to. We love D.C.’s young and excited spirit, its array of food choices and its uniqueness. I love that most of its inhabitants moved here to try making a difference. Though it may be a town divided by red and blue, people who care about one side of the aisle have more in common with their opponents than with anyone who generally doesn’t care.

Being reunited with Wings Over, my sorority sisters, my parents and my pup were essential to finishing out this semester strong, but those things also reminded me that Columbus, Ohio is only one component of my life. While I will always be excited to be back with those gems, there is no reason for me to live anywhere other than D.C. when I graduate.

Columbus will always be there to welcome me back, but hopefully for only a weekend or week at a time.

Pictured: My dog, Albus Dumbledog


No comments:

Post a Comment