Friday, December 1, 2017

A Local Government Contractor's Perspective on Washington: The End

A Local Government Contractor's Perspective on Washington:
The End

By: Connor Williams

As the Fall of 2017 is coming to a close, this is a time for reflection not only for myself, but for the other members of the WAIP cohort. For those of us graduating (myself included), we're looking out to where we can set up shop for the immediate future. It has certainly been an interesting ride up to this point, and I have certainly been able to see firsthand the influence of local governance on federal affairs, as my time on Capitol Hill has been very enlightening.

Being able to speak with and listen to Ohioans and Ohio-based advocacy groups has really helped me to understand not only the concerns of the people, but also the effective (and ineffective) ways to bring those concerns to Congress. It's been really interesting seeing what approaches get past the standard filters of the Congressmen and their staff.

Additionally, it's been a real treat seeing the seasons change while here in D.C., as the shifts in the weather and the city's looks and bustle has been unlike what I've seen in Cleveland and Columbus and the seasons here have a unique feel all their own (just like the city in general). Seeing the city change gears for the holiday (and the end of the Congressional year), and everything picking up into high gear.

Garden tour of the White House, late October
As I start my move back to Ohio (and what I felt when I went back to visit over Thanksgiving), I am returning with a newfound perspective on local administration, and administration in general. I am also planning on working on Congressman Renacci's campaign for governor, so I think I'll gain some valuable experience from my time there. Either way, I'm hoping to stay in the political and administration process wherever I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment