Monday, February 26, 2018

Hallowed Grounds




Hallowed Grounds
By: Dylan Armstrong

It was a cool January day when Evan, David, and I hopped on the Metro to head over to Arlington National Cemetery. I had never been to Arlington National Cemetery so I did not know what to expect. I had seen photos of the cemetery online, but I quickly realized that the photos could have never shown how truly breathtaking the cemetery is. After clearing security, we started our walk through the cemetery and were greeted by this sign.




Which really helped set the mood that, yes, while I am seeing a national monument, I must make sure to remain respectful because this is a burial ground for many great men and women who gave everything. Right past the sign you get your first great view of the cemetery.  



David, Evan, and I walked through the cemetery and headed to President John F. Kennedy’s grave-site, where he is buried with the rest of his family. The eternal flame is located at his tombstone which represents the everlasting impact that the Kennedy’s had in The United States.



The final thing that David, Evan, and I witnessed at Arlington National Cemetery was the changing of the guard ceremony. The changing of the guards is the process of changing who is stationed outside of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. I did not take any photos or videos of the Changing of the Guard Ceremony, but I did take a photo of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier with the Guard standing at attention.



My trip to The Arlington National Cemetery was a moving one. It was nice to see that our nation treats those who given the ultimate sacrifice the respect they deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment