Thursday, January 13, 2011

My First Day Wearing Business Professional

No, Head of the EPA, Lisa Jackson, did not come to visit the DfE. Actually, I wore business professional because I attended the 7th Annual State of the Energy Industry Forum at the National Press Club. I took a day off from my unpaid internship to listen to representatives from various private-sector energy companies, as they hoo-hah'ed and boasted their respective energy sources. I heard from the natural gas, oil, nuclear, wind, and solar energy industries throughout the afternoon. I was especially interested and enlightened by the natural gas industry.
Renewable energy was mentioned quite frequently as well, but their disadvantage in terms of energy output and competition against existing energy fuels (i.e., coal, oil, and natural gas), was made quite obvious. Most representatives from the latter industries acknowledged the importance of renewable energy, and were willing to see the advancement of newer technologies. Mostly all energy sectors realized that a cleaner energy future relies on feeding off, instead of competing against, each other. I personally look forward to a future of energy diversification, instead of energy monopolization.
I am really looking forward to attending the next energy forum, which focuses on clean coal, in early February. I do not know much about it, but always see billboards for it on Insterstate-80.

No comments:

Post a Comment