Monday, February 6, 2012

Becoming a Washingtonian


I feel as if in the five weeks that we have been here I have been successful in picking up many of the traits of those who live in the beautiful city, and feel like I could pass as a Washingtonian.  Or at least so I think.  Among the many skills I have picked up while muddling through my time in Washington includes learning how to hail a cab, learning how to properly ride an escalator, how to ride the Metro, and how to walk in heels. 

Alright so maybe hailing a cab is not very difficult.  I quickly realized that it simply involves sticking your hand out when you see any of the army of cabs that circulates the city constantly.  Just don’t forget the extra charge for hailing a cab when you give a tip, because you will feel like a jerk if you forget it and, therefore, end up not tipping.  Properly riding an escalator is a necessity to act like a Washingtonian. If any of the readers don’t now, proper escalator etiquette involves standing on the right and walking on the left.  I have reached the point where standing on the left side feels somehow immoral.  I personally have yet to be truly annoyed when tourists stand on the left, but admit that sometimes I pretend to be angry so I feel more like I have been in D.C. my whole life.  Riding the metro was something that I was not particularly worried about when I came to D.C., as I have spent a decent amount of time in Germany and used their public transportation system.  Well, I quickly learned that there are some extra rules for riding the metro in D.C.  The most important rule is, as Dr. Kolson and Mike told us the first day, plan on the metro taking longer than it should.  Usually on weekday rush hour the metro works fairly well, but on weekends…forget it, you might as well walk.  That was another important lesson, D.C. is fairly small and if you are on Capitol Hill and going to China Town, downtown, or the Mall on the weekend, it is well worth it to simply walk.  Speaking of walking, while I can now walk a mile in easily wearing heels, I have also lost most of my shyness about walking into the office in a comfortable pair of tennis shoes then changing.  Most.  When wearing heels avoid the sidewalk around the Capitol and the Senate Office buildings because it will literally eat the heels on your shoes.  Five weeks in and my new heels need the bottom redone.  But if that is the price I have to pay to walk past the Capitol in the early evening, it is one I am willing to pay.  

That is the last lesson that I learned, even after being here for over a month, the majesty of walking past these beautiful and inspiring buildings has not gotten old, and I do not think it ever will. 

Cathy H




No comments:

Post a Comment