Friday, December 6, 2013

Monuments: More Than What You Remember From 8th Grade

I'm going to preface this with the old "my family came to visit me" excuse for posting something so obvious and touristy. 
Though I'm not sure that's entirety necessary. After living in DC for some months people tend to stop noticing things like the Washington Monument, the war memorials on the National Mall, the Capitol (Hill interns, I'm talking to you on that last one). Some people might not even venture "all the way" to the Tidal Basin to see Jefferson, or the other side of the Mall to see Lincoln and the Reflecting Pool. Anyone who grew up in Ohio might just feed you the 8th grade visit story as their reasoning for not wanting to see these sights again. To anyone using or thinking of using that excuse: you don't know what you're missing.
A lot of stuff happens in life between a WAIP experience in DC and 8th grade. Between the simple measure of time (a few years at the very least) and several life events (hopefully), you should be a person more receptive to the messages these monolithic constructions can convey. In my experience I found I didn't really pay a lot of attention during my own 8th grade trip and after a few years of taking political science and public affairs classes that these great works of art were resonating a little more than I thought.
Will this be the case for you? I certainly have no idea. Is it worth a shot? I think so. Whether its walking up the steps to see Lincolns massive frame resting so majestically, or enjoying the scenery while walking the Tidal Basin on the way to see Jefferson (check out the quotations on the panels above the statue when you get there), I can guarantee that it will at least mean more than it did when you were 13.

-Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment