Friday, April 17, 2015

Inspiring Aviation

I grew up next to Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, when my sister and I were little Dad would point out the bombers, cargo planes, and fighter jets. He still does this but now I can see the differences myself. The runway lies next to a regularly used state route and if you look up when a jet is overhead it feels like you can see the tire groves in the landing gear. Ohio is the first in aviation so maybe seeing all these planes inspired me to keep looking, up past the atmosphere into the space beyond.

When we visited Lockheed Martin in Crystal City I grinned to see F-16s pictured on the walls. But when we went into the room for space exploration and satellite technology I could couldn't contain my excitement. There was just so much to see. Two brothers with a bicycle shop from my home town had started us on a journey that could end with humans living on different worlds. Here, looking at the model of Orion, I could see this happening. As is the case whenever I imagine the future of space exploration I wanted to participate. David pointed out the controversial areas of geospatial technology, discussed funding approaches, brought up increasing gender equality among astronauts and inspired the other students. I was already sold. If we know there is water on Europa and there are geysers on Io what can we do to find out more?

 I entered college thinking I would study astronomy. I could help the planet reach forward, we could do more things, go more places. I changed my major to Public Affairs to be able better accomplish that same goa. Instead of looking outward to space I would look inward and study our government. Visiting Lockheed Martin mixed my two passions. They do more than just build the planes for the air force, and design space equipment for NASA they build runways for dreams. 

Isabelle ChaseWehner

No comments:

Post a Comment