Friday, April 17, 2015

The City of Brotherly Love

Chad Ellwood

The City of Brotherly Love


Just a few weeks back, we had the opportunity to take a day trip to Philadelphia to see one of America's most historic cities and where the great country we call home was founded. The greatest minds in American history met in Independence Hall and signed the Constitution. We were lucky enough to see this on our trip and it was certainly my favorite part. I had goosebumps nearly the entire time thinking of the people who had occupied the same rooms 250 years earlier. Though I knew the history of the Constitutional Convention, hearing it masterfully recited by the National Park Ranger was moving. The artwork was really great and the architecture was unbelievable as well. The books on the desks were originals, and the hall was well maintained. It was an awesome opportunity and I'm so glad we had the chance to go inside. 



Another great part of the day was seeing the Liberty Bell. I had read about the bell all of my life but seeing the thing up close was really cool. The Bell is one of the most important and famous symbols of independence in America. It makes you think of how we are so lucky to live in a country that so many fought so hard to protect. The Revolution was still living in Philadelphia and my patriotism was at an all time high seeing the sights of Philly. 

We also were given the opportunity to seek out and try an authentic Philly cheesesteak. I have had cheesesteaks before and never understood how they could be different or get better. I was quite wrong. I went to Carmen's Cheesesteaks in the Reading Market and had a religious experience with my cheesesteak. Obama had eaten there so I felt pretty comfortable going in. It left me with one question, though? If cheesesteaks can be made that good in Philly, why not in Columbus? It was then the next great Columbus food truck idea was born (not really). 

The day was long (bus departing at 6:30am and getting back at 11pm), but the Philly trip was well worth it. I'm so glad we got to go to a city I had never been to, and one that packed so much history into its boundaries. 




No comments:

Post a Comment