Wednesday, May 20, 2015

May 9-15 Emma Hedges

Ms. Hedges goes to Washington (I refuse to apologize for this)

Saturday: After the usual pre-road trip three hours of sleep the mother and I set out from Columbus, finally making it out the door at 6:30. We were only half an hour behind schedule!  The drive to D.C. from Columbus  is  roughly 7 and a half hours of "what was the speed limit here again" and also a fantastic Starbucks in West Virginia with a charming local biker club out front. Long drives with the Mrs. and Ms. Hedges  include vast quantities of movie soundtracks and also Abba, perfect for car dancing. 
We successfully moved myself and my entourage of suits and frying pans into the WISH housing I share with the rest of the WAIP fellows  by 2 pm, found a target, because I apparently can't go a week without being in one of those, also hangars are necessary, and went for lunch. The Mrs. Hedges left shortly afterward.
Several  of the other girls and I went to SweetGreens for salad dinner, enjoying views  of the Capital and the Library of Congress along the walk to and from.

Sunday:
Sunday was for settling in, which meant finding a whole foods, #vegetables or something. On the way to the whole foods I found a farmer's market, naturally. I also got very lost and walked an extra four miles. But I did finally find groceries. And made pasta.  End Scene.

Monday: Monday was orientation day for us WAIP-ers. Ohio State is based out of the Hall of States in D.C. which is a mere ten minute walk from our townhouses.  Orientation was a lot of information at the trot, but all useful. We also got our golden tickets (or metro cards, whichever you prefer), which immediately proved useful Tuesday morning. Going back to Monday, we trekked over to the Library of Congress for our first study tour after morning orientation. We had a tour, learning the meaning of the marble babies on the wall and saw the main reading room. My general thoughts include: too many marble children, not enough books. Maybe I'm biased. The main reading room is gorgeous however, which prompted a group trip over to one of the other library buildings to get our paws on library cards after the tour officially ended. For the record, the picture on my library of congress card is better than the one on my drivers license. After a brief period of loafing with pants more casual than slacks on, we resumed slacks and headed to our Monday night policy lecture. FABULOUS. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy 4000 level, heavily-discussion based classes.

Tuesday: FIRST DAY OF WORK. Which for a lot of people meant getting up at the crack of dawn. I didn't have to be in until 10:30 my first day, lucky, lucky me. I got up at 7 though, to start acclimating to the early rising idea (ew),  and also made the decision to wear my heels, just everywhere. To break that down, I have a ten minute walk to the nearest metro station (union), four minute metro ride (two stops to chinatown), and then a three minute walk to the office. This did not go well. I'm writing this out on Friday, and there is still #blisterlife happening.  At least I looked cool (thanks for the suit mom)….(and the shoes)…..(and the purse). Nothing says confidence like being wrapped in parental love your first day of work. Work was good though. I got my computer, and my spot (very important), and my email (ehedges@mercuryllc.com) if anyone needs that for some reason. I also probably should have mentioned before that I'm working for Mercury this summer. They are a public affairs/ strategy firm, with both domestic and international clients. Luckily for me, I'm interested in both! Tuesday evening was fun, with lots of "how was your day" and "did your commute go well". The general consensus was that that feels way too old-ish, and that everyone's commutes and days went well. I also taught a housemate how to make tacos, this is very important work I'm doing here people, I can't stress that enough.

Wednesday: Second day of work, time for the nine am start, left the house at 8:20 because why not, got to work twenty minutes early, still with no key card though, so lurking in the hallway outside the office was an event that happened. I did get a key card later in the day, so I no longer have to make the poor concierge run to the elevator to key me up to the right floor anymore/ wait for someone else to come into the office to get in in the morning. My job as an intern involves a lot of specified research for people who are working on client projects or proposals as well as press clips for either projects or existing clients. It's all interesting and I can feel the education seeping in. Wednesday is our Policy Salon day, so I left work, and metro-ed back to union station, which is conveniently a mere three blocks from the Hall of States. The salon of the day was a panel of young professionals who had gone through Ohio State and are now making it as real adults in D.C.. They had a lot of good things to say about preparing yourself for your career, and how to go with the flow jobwise, you never know what might take you where! Also networking. Always networking. Between the four of the panelists the WAIP  crew got a few good restaurant recommendations and free activity tips! This was followed by limping home and collapsing.  Bonus though, policy salons come with 'we the pizza', which does a beautiful white pie with sweet ricotta clumps on top. It's better than that sounds by far, I promise.

Thursday: Honeymoon period is over, but work is still fun and fast-paced. I'm never bored, which, for those of you who have lived with me/ known me for a while, know is a good thing. I did finally make it to the conveniently-right-across-the-street-literally National Portrait Gallery today at lunch, I figure if I make it through like half a hallway at lunch every day I might make it though the entire building by the end of summer. They also have a lovely atrium where you can sit and eat lunch and pretend you're a grown-up for a while. Thursday evening we stayed up watching some kind of sportsball on the television and chatting with almost everyone in the program together, which was nice.


Friday: Friday's are our regular study tour days, so no work, but not quite play either. It was nice because we didn't have to leave the house to meet Katy, our illustrious leader, until 8:15 which ranges from an hour to just fifteen minutes later than usual for individuals in the group. Today's agenda included the DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration) museum and the Lockheed-Martin visitor's center, education center? Something along those lines. The DEA museum was interesting, lots of drug info I knew (thanks public school health classes) and also lots I didn't. The most important part of (in my opinion) the museum was a diamond encrusted handgun taken off of a South American cartel leader. If you must have a handgun, let it be sparkly I suppose. We also had a talk from one of the DEA officers, he is part of the  emergency preparedness team, which is more important to the DEA than you would initially think. The talk was not only interesting, but very informative about potential careers in federal law enforcement.  Brief lunch at chipotle in the food court of the Pentagon City Mall (serious senior trip flashbacks included free of charge) and on to Lockheed-Martin. We had a guided tour of their museum/ learning center there, concentrated on their space programs rather than the fancy new fighter jet. Appointments to see that side of the center are apparently tricky to get due to the large number of military personnel tromping in and out to see it. Understandable. I peered inside the conveniently glass doors though, and I can tell you that it is fancy looking.  The rest of Friday included meeting Ally Carter, one of my all-time favorite authors, very exciting, and an ill-fated trip to find ice-cream. The ice-cream trip was interrupted by some kind prom event in the same building as the ice-cream store, so we rerouted to starbucks. The starbucks partially explains why I am writing this at 1:30 am instead of sleeping. Overall, first week-ish gets an A. 

No comments:

Post a Comment