Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Maybe just look at Friday- Emma Hedges

Saturday:  With the first week done all you really want to do is sleep. Or maybe sit on the couch. Regrettably for you D.C. isn't a permanent home (yet).  I did indulge in sleeping in until 8:30 instead of getting up at 6:15, which was a nice treat. To make up for the lie-in I trekked to the local grocery outpost (giant) and bought essentials (nutella, whipped cream and eggs). Saturday morning Swedish pancakes are always the right call to make! I got those started at 9:30 and just kept making them until 11. Somehow we still had leftovers despite the 15 or so people that trickled through for breakfast. Fortunately, pancakes are also good for lunch, and dinner, and snacks, and second day breakfast.  After a brief period of lounging a few of us drifted around the Capitol building to the Asian Heritage Festival on Pennsylvania Ave.. They had some great dancing and singing, and of course, food. Thai tea and chicken kebab for lunch! The evening concluded with a failed trip to see Pitch Perfect 2 in Chinatown.

Sunday: Starting the day with some leftover pancakes from the morning before is always the correct way to go. Not too much happened on Sunday, despite my vow to go to a museum a weekend, I'm so far failing miserably. I did manage to go grocery shopping though, and made it to Nordstrom Rack, where I invested in new shorts, and a new work shirt. Both of which were entirely necessary of course. Sunday night finished off with another failed ice cream trek to union station (turns out the ice cream place closes at 9 rather than a civilized hour like 11).

Monday: Work week two! Nothing too remarkable to report here. I've settled into my work (meaning I'm slowly memorizing names), and developed a very British habit of elevenses. Any excuse for a cup of tea and granola bar mid-morning! Today's policy lecture went well, my section turned in our paper topics for the 20 page policy paper we have due at the end of the semester. Spoiler alert, mine has been accepted.

Tuesday: Work by day, Mentor Mixer by night. Only hitch was the fact that my mentor is currently in Sweden. Regardless, listening to what other people's mentors had to say and comparing notes on our first week with my fellow fellows made it worth it.

Wednesday: I don't think anything remarkable actually happened today. I worked, I came home, yay!

Thursday: See above. With the added addition of joy because Thursday is our last day for work during the week!!


Friday: Friday is delicious because sometimes you get to sleep in. This week we didn't need to meet at the Newseum until 10, so I got to sleep in a full extra hour! We walked, for the most part, en masse to the museum where we met up with Neal Hooker, one of the lectureres. Katy, who would usually be with us for a tour is back in Columbus for her wedding this weekend, YAY!! In the Newseum we stayed as a group just long enough to take a group picture on the rooftop terrace before we separated out to enjoy it at our own pace. With six floors, there is a lot to see. I don't want to spoil anything for anyone that’s planning a trip soon, but I will say that you can probably skip the 4D movie. In my opinion at least it wasn't worth the half hour, the seventh graders filling up the rest of the room seemed to enjoy it though, so that’s probably more the targeted age range. The museum does have an interesting series of pictures on the gradually ageing baby boomers, a entertaining but maybe a little kitschy exhibit dedicated to the beginnings of the FBI (focused heavily on 'gangsters') and a giant room full of interactive games. The best exhibit though, at least in my opinion, is the 9/11 section. Its not the newspaper headlines from around the globe, or even the twisted wreckage of the transmitter from the top of one of the towers that gets you. Hidden away in a little room off to one side is a video of clips from the reporters who were right by the base of the towers when they were collapsing, interspersed with other clips of the reporters themselves talking about the day. It was not an intentional tear jerker, but thought provoking instead. I would highly recommend a stop by just for that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment