Sunday, May 29, 2016

Honoring veterans and those who lost their lives fighting for our country is something that comes up all the time. It comes up in presidential campaigns, during football games, and of course a few times a year on Memorial Day, Veterans Day, and the Fourth of July. But for all we hear about the sacrifices that American heroes make to keep us free, it’s always been hard for me to wrap my head around how much sacrifice has really been made. Visiting the Arlington National Cemetery has helped put that all in perspective. The sea of white tombstones rolls over the hills and fills the available green space, wrapping around trees and pathways. Even after wandering around for over an hour, I was still unable to take it all in.

            I’m trying not to use clichés to express my thoughts, but I think the fact that only vague, proverbial phrases come to mind is indicative of the fact that it’s difficult to comprehend just how much has collectively been sacrificed to make America the country it is today (there are those vague phrases again). Everyone chooses a cause to which they want to dedicate their lives. The people in Arlington Cemetery chose to dedicate their lives to the protection of people around the world, and because of my walk through Arlington, I’m starting to get a greater understanding of the scope and depth of that dedication.

-Adam S.

No comments:

Post a Comment