Tuesday, May 31, 2016

The Importance of Public Service

It’s easy to be so distracted you forget why you’re here in D.C. for the summer. I choose to be here instead of working at home or taking summer classes in Columbus because I wanted to explore my role in the public service sector of the United States of America.

Public service are the goods and services provided by the government to people living in the United States. It encompasses amenities like national defense, education, police protection, taxation, emergency relief, and all kinds of social programs. It includes those who work in government, nonprofit organizations that are connected to government, and private companies with governmental relations. Those who work in public service are often interested in working to fix complicated issues in order to contribute directly to the public good.

While I am still working out the details, I know I want to work in public service and contribute my talents to improve the way the government operates and serves its citizens. There are so many things I could do, and after long hours at work and class and an endless amount of extracurricular activities, I needed a reminder of why I want to work in the public service sector in the first place.

My most recent reminder came on Memorial Day. Even after a day filled with parades and patriotic spirit, I still wasn’t truly awed by the role of public service until dinnertime. I was waiting for my order at Shake Shack and standing by a police officer that was also there waiting for his order. I saw a little boy, maybe five or six years old, leave the table where his family was sitting and approach the police officer. While I could not hear the words exchanged, I could see the officer go down on one knee to talk to the boy and shake his hand. The little boy looked beatific and amazed. They only talked for a few minutes before the boy headed back to his table. His family greeted him with smiles and high fives as he sat down.

This interaction exemplified why I am interested in public service. Public service is about serving and working to improve the lives of others. After watching the police officer take time out of his day to talk to a boy who surely looks up to him more than anyone, I was reminded of the deep meaning associated with serving others. In it there is honor and dignity, but also sacrifice and hard work.  One day I hope to be like the police office: kind, selfless, engaged, and devoted to serving.

-Caroline

No comments:

Post a Comment