Friday, October 13, 2017

Climbing Old Rag Trail, by Abby Vesoulis




Last weekend, I had the opportunity to climb Old Rag Trail.

The 9.1 mile, 2,415 foot summit was not easy to get to. However, it was worth it not only for the views at the top, but also for the lessons I learned along the way. I'll talk about some of those lessons below.

1. Show up.
Arguably, the hardest part about the hike was getting there. It's about three hours away. Luckily, Grace (a fellow WAIPer), offered to drive, but just agreeing to go made me committed to not wasting the day by giving up before I got to the top.

2. Teamwork is important, even if you don't think you need help.
Five of us did the climb together, and even though we had different athletic capabilities, we stood together during the hardest parts of the climb. We shared our resources of food and water, we were encouraging, and we literally and figuratively gave each other a boost. In the work place, you need to do the same things for your coworkers -- be kind, share information, and help each other when someone has too much on their plate.



3. Be prepared
Showing up is the hardest part, but come prepared to take on whatever challenge you will face. I'm so glad I wore the right clothes, had water and looked up what I was getting myself into. I might have given up if I went in without enough water or if my shoes were uncomfortable. At work, make sure you prep for important meetings and to dress for success.

4. Hard work is usually worth it
This hike was HARD. I left with scrapes, and couldn't walk the next day. I was out of breath for a good chunk of the hike, and even feared serious injury a few times when jumping over chasms. But the journey was so worth it. I saw views I had never seen before. I imagine most things in life are like this. Anything worth doing is going to pose challenges, but the end result will have been very worth it.

For more information and pictures about my hike, visit NBC Washington and look at my gallery.


- Abby Vesoulis 

No comments:

Post a Comment