Friday, October 13, 2017

Walking is Good for the Soul

Walking is good for your soul.
By: Chiara Banez


There are so many methods of transportation around DC that I feel like we take the fact that it is an extremely walk-able city, for granted. Sure, I am with you on the fact (even though I’m a morning person) that I don’t want to wake up an hour earlier to walk, but on the way home? As long as it isn’t swamp weather, I’m in.  And of course I will probably Uber if I am with a group of 3 and we are leaving the Jefferson Monument at 11PM and it is a 3-mile walk back home. But seriously, walking around DC is definitely the way to go and below are some observations about why you should and my best tips for enjoying your walk!

Tips:
1.     Wear comfy shoes! DC is one of the few cities where wearing your professional clothes with your running shoes is a popular look. I didn’t want to buy into the trend, but I have definitely jumped on the bandwagon. My running shoes make my feet a lot happier than the flats or heels I wear to work-and in case I get to the metro station right as a train is pulling up in the morning, I can speed down the escalator and jump on the train. Plus, it definitely communicates to employers that you are a practical human who is able to run in case of emergency. Again, I am making jokes, but if you have a desk at work it is a great idea to leave your professional shoes there so you don’t have to pack them everyday, and wear your tennis shoes for the commute.
2.     Listen to music or a podcast.  Ok, take this tip with a grain of salt. I think that it is great to listen to music and podcasts while you walk but sometimes it is great just to take in the city without any background noise.  You may hear protestors, you will be more aware of cars (in a city of so many jay-walkers this is important) and you just have the opportunity to have some silence….however, to make your walk more enjoyable on the days when you want company, I suggest listening to your favorite playlist or a podcast! I highly recommend Up First by NPR, but this may be one that you want to listen to in the morning, because it gives a snippet of the news from the previous day. There are also some really interesting Sci-fi ones that I have listened to in the past but do a quick Google search and I am sure you will find something.
3.    Look around. How many other times in your life are you going to have the opportunity to live in the nation’s capitol within such proximity to the Capitol building? There are so many amazing monuments and buildings in this historical city that you don’t get to see when you are underground on the metro. Also, in case you didn’t notice, there are some pretty amazing people in this city and you never know who you will run into! The other day on my walk home, I am pretty sure I walked past Senator Bernie Sanders (rumor has it that he gets his drycleaning done near the WAIP house) and I never would have ran into him had I Ubered home!
4.    Bring your phone/camera. I cannot tell you how many people I have seen making calls around the Capitol at night and how calming it is to catch up with friends and family while looking at the building all lit up. I can tell you that that is one of my favorite things to do. I feel like walking around the outside of the building is just so peaceful at night and gives you space away from the hustle and bustle of DC and the house. On the same note, bring your camera, because again, you never know what you will see that you want to capture in that moment!


There you have it! I hope you all are convinced to walk more in DC and enjoy your time doing so!

No comments:

Post a Comment