Sunday, October 3, 2010

This past week was really busy at my internship in Congressman Boehner's office since Congress wrapped up session. I was able to give a few tours to constituents. One tour was with an older couple from western Ohio - they have been my favorite so far! The husband was a dairy farmer his entire life and always dreamed of visiting the Capitol building. They were a very patriotic couple and the man actually became emotional once we stepped into the Rotunda. It was a blessing to be able to show him around the place he waited his whole life to visit.Another group I had the pleasure of giving a tour was four Vietnam veterans from Ohio. They were in D.C. visiting a soldier at Walter Reed who was severely injured in Afghanistan. The honor and patriotism these men showed was incredible. They were willing to drive ten hours to visit a
wounded soldier, whom they had never met before, for a short hour or so in order
to show their thanks and offer the young man support. Meeting these men was a wonderful experience and reminds you of the importance of public service and doing good for others.
This week at my internship should be interesting - especially because I will be going to a Supreme Court argument! Looking forward to it!!

My weekend was fantastic as well! We spent Saturday and all of today (Sunday) acting like tourists and visiting memorials.
Saturday we practically walked the entire city and saw the sights. Our walk included the Botanical Gardens, a quick browse through the Natural History Smithsonian, the Washington Monument, White House, and the WWI monument.

Sunday we started the day out with a metro trip to Arlington National Cemetery. Arlington and the World War II monument are the two places I feel the most patriotic at. I sometimes become a little shaken up by t
he emotion felt while standing in both the middle of the WWII monument and trekking my way across Arlington. My grandfather served in WWII and passed earlier this year so I definitely feel close to him at both of the memorials. Walking along the cemetery, I find it most interesting to read the names on the tombs as I walk along the path and try to imagine what each soldier was like and all the things they must have experienced. Sometimes you see a soldier's tomb and look at the date only to realize they were killed in Iraq or Afghanistan. These hit home as well because they are from my generation.
The changing of the guard is an emotional experience as well. The feelings of pride and honor you receive from watching the ceremony is priceless.

After Arlington, we made our way (on foot) to the Lincoln Memorial as well as the Vietnam, WII, and Korean War
Memorials.


L.Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment