Friday, June 24, 2011

Can you find Algeria on a map?

On my second day of work, I could have been in a potentially embarrassing, not to mention awkward, position when I was asked this question after my CEO had told a delegation of Algerian young political leaders that 9 out of 10 Americans cannot identify Algeria on an unmarked map. Luckily, I had paid attention in IR classes and follow the Arab Spring , saving myself some embarrassment and my CEO some forehead smacking about incompetent, young interns.

The organization that I intern for is focused on bringing in and sending out young political leaders in order to increase global awareness, emphasize the global character of policy making decisions at every level, and foster a sense of connectedness between American policy makers and foreign policy makers. With the Algerian delegation, I found that in some cases these young MPs and legal workers were more interested in what I had to say as a young person, a woman, an American, and a student of IR, than some of the prestigious, practiced experts that we met with at the AFL-CIO, Senate, HOR, National Democratic Institute, and the Woodrow Wilson International Institute for Scholars. It was a blast to go on these trips with the delegates, but an honor to participate in the interconnectedness that my organization emphasizes so passionately.

However, the highlight of my week was touring the Capital with the Algerians. I had never been to the Capital, just like these politicians, and there probably could not have been a more photo-enthusiastic group! I climbed the many, many stairs, admired the plaza, and toured the Rotunda with the delegates and learned some things about the heart of our government that I had never known.


For example, I did not realize the scale of the evolution of the Capital (it has been added to extensively!) or that it was designed by a French architect. I also got to see the first chambers of our government, famous oil paintings of Colonial America, and the dozens of statues of prominent Americans throughout the halls. It was also interesting to see the mural on the ceiling called the Apotheosis of George Washington that features the first president in a near godly state, as an example of the fledgling nation's attempt to establish legitimacy, lore, and heroes for Americans. I even got to stand in the middle of DC on a star in one of the halls. I also got to take pictures of all seven delegates in front of almost every point of interest. Exhausting!



There is even a ghost story to the Capital building. In one of the smaller domes, there are kitten foot prints in the cement that puzzled many people--how did they get there? There are two versions: a ghost story and the obvious. The story says that upon the election of every president, a small kitten trots across that hall. However, at some point that area was used as storage, which damaged the floor, leading it's repavement. When the cement was wet a security guard was forced to stand guard and make sure no little critters ruined the floor, which coincided with the election of an "unknown" president. The rumor is that the ghost kitten was half way across the floor when it saw the guard, changed into a panther, and lunged at the guard. Most likely the guard fell asleep and a cat strolled by, but the foot prints are distinct and every historic building needs a ghost story.


So many of the summer Glenn fellows have seen the Capital before, so that trip was the perfect opportunity to get a tour, snap some pictures, and enjoy some of the perks to my internship! I can't wait to see what comes next from this beautiful the city and my internship.


KMB

1 comment:

  1. Great, albeit anonymous, post. Add initials? Nice work on the Algeria front. (But watch out for capital/Capitol.) --KK

    ReplyDelete