Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Perfect First Day of Summer (And Internship!)

I ended up going out to a congressman’s dinner party with Mr. Kinghorn, of Kinghorn, Hilbert & Associates, the lobbying firm at which I have just begun working. Amid the old school shag band, a throng of yuppies and various important people, shrimp and grits with breaded catfish, and my glass of chardonnay, I found myself enjoying the company of the politicians I had only previously heard about in the news. I appreciated Mr. Kinghorn introducing me to a blur of men in suits as “his intern, who has only been on the job for one day!” Overall, the shrimp and grits were good (as well as the “nanner” pudding—oh, you Southerners), but not exactly worth the $250 it cost for me to be there. Luckily, Mr. Kinghorn covered that charge. I figure he’s in a better financial situation than I am. It was definitely a new experience, being at a cocktail party with a bunch of politicians. It’s something I think I can get used to it…

My first day at KHA Consultants was surprisingly good. By the end of the day, I felt right at home with the small crowd of warm, sociable employees. The first person I met was Grace, a young associate who originated from London. She’s a charming, pretty girl with the most adorable British accent. I then talked at length with Christine, the personable woman who is mainly in charge of the interns. She’s friendly, open, and very helpful—definitely someone I can see myself working for. Both Kinghorn and Hilbert were welcoming—in fact, Hilbert and Chris, another employee, are both OSU alumni and instantly decided that they liked me. Jake, who I did not have the pleasure of meeting, is a Georgetown grad and Michael, another employee for whom I did a memo, has his J.D. and was a practicing lawyer.

I definitely got along really well with the other intern, Cameron. Cool guy. We apparently like to tease each other a lot, but I can live with that. His best friend actually went to my high school, which is strange because he knows him through his college in Pennsylvania. Together, we spent hours putting together the most tedious memos on TATRC and research grants for PTSD/PCS/TBI/fitness programs/military-related distress. I never thought I’d get sick of Googling, but… I’m sick of Googling. It’s all good, though. Client research is just part of the job for us interns and I don’t think anyone in the WAIP program has managed to get out of doing it, regardless of the organization he/she is working for. At least I got plenty of coffee and Chipotle (at Union Station, of all places… my favorite!), which kept me pretty wired.

Overall, I literally can’t believe how easygoing and friendly everyone is around here. Washington D.C., unlike some other East Coast cities, is definitely livable, in my opinion. It’s like the suburbia of the urban world. There are little to no skyscrapers—just pleasant 4 or 5 story buildings (think the Supreme Court) that allow the sun to shine over the city. There’s green all around! Parks, trees, stretches of lawn that allow the city to keep a natural, refreshing element. There isn’t terrible traffic (although it isn’t great either). It’s not that populated—at least not anywhere near as bad as NYC. It’s just beautiful and fast-paced and professional and invigorating. As of now, I’m entirely smitten. I can definitely see myself living here for at least a few years upon graduation.

The Washington Intern Student Housing (WISH), where I live, is located in the absolute perfect place. It’s on Constitution Ave., right at the intersection of Massachusetts Ave. All I have to do is leave my apartment, make a left turn, walk a hundred feet or so, and turn right onto 2nd Street, NE. Five minutes down the street on 2nd, I pass Union Station, which not only has the metro, but also delicious food and an amazing shopping mall. Another ten minutes down 2nd brings me to my workplace, which is conveniently located within walking distance. I feel like I am on a college campus that just may be slightly more lovable than OSU. In fact, Capitol Hill is literally like OSU: the yuppie version. I can’t even walk two blocks without spotting a swarm of young professionals and frantic interns. I love it. I feel as if I am constantly surrounded by charismatic, intelligent, and passionate individuals.

Speaking of such people, the students in my internship program are great. My roommate is smart, put together, and easy to get along with. Oh, and she suggested that we watch Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt. 2 the weekend it comes out, so obviously she’s someone I adore living with. I was already friends with another girl in the program, and had a good time last night at dinner with her, my roommate, and some other bright albeit fun people. I can tell that the nightlife and dining here is fantastic, just based on last night and the previous two days in the city with my family. If I had an endless supply of money, I would definitely eat out at a new D.C. restaurant for every single meal and get fat. Well, that wouldn’t really happen due to the fact that I have to walk several miles every day. So hey, it all works out.

-B.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment