Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Hitting the ground running

I arrived in DC, along with the rest of the WAIP fellows last Sunday. I was asked to come into work on Monday, to meet some people and get general tasks to do for the rest of the week because my boss was leaving town Tuesday and Wednesday. So after our long day of orientation, I ventured downtown for my internship with Planned Parenthood Federation of America.

When I got to the office, I shook hands and met what seemed like a hundred people. Upon telling them I go to Ohio State, I was met with a few different reactions:
1. Oh no! Ohio State!? I went to ________ (insert Michigan, MSU, Iowa, other Big Ten schools).
2. Ohio State?! No way! O-H!
3. Hmm… Ohio State. You mid-westerners are taking over the office.

Hearing me say I attend Ohio State had a much bigger reaction than I was expecting. One person in the office used to have a giant Ohio State flag, and upon hearing that I attend OSU, many employees brought me over to see it, only to disappointingly discover that it had recently been relocated in a move. Beyond that, my office has a semi-OSU legacy trend, as they’ve had interns from OSU for the past three summers. The DC office is getting used to having us Buckeyes around!

Back to work. What struck me almost immediately was the fast pace of my new workplace. These people in DC are busy! There are meetings around the clock, a different function or event every night and constant, constant emails. However, as busy as all of my co-workers are, they somehow have time to not only do everything on their plates, but they’re able to still somehow take a break to talk to me about where I’m living, what I’m studying in school, or how gross the weather is in DC in the summer. They have been exceedingly welcoming, and have made me feel right at home (which is especially saying something because I’m one of the last of about 20 interns for this summer).

The best thing about work is that although my nametag says intern, I really feel like part of the overall team. On my first day I was given actual projects with actual deadlines. I’ve got my own activities, as well as responsibilities to the group. I have a supervisor who I can consult, but I don’t have to worry about them constantly watching over my shoulder.

Overall, it’s a great mix. Crazily enough, I find myself wishing I was at work even in the small amounts of free time I have here in DC. This is saying something, because I haven’t even gone to the zoo yet!

LZ

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/ for more information about all that Planned Parenthood does.

No comments:

Post a Comment