Sunday, April 21, 2013

Immigration Rally

Showing our support for immigration reform

On April 10th, I had the opportunity to volunteer at the immigration rally on the Hill. My internship here in DC deals with immigration policy research, so this was the perfect chance for me to meet and interact with others who care deeply about this issue. Tens of thousands of immigrants and pro-immigrant activists came to the U.S. Capitol to show their support in passing comprehensive immigration reform. There were speakers of all backgrounds represented, from the Asian-American community to the Hispanic community. I originally signed up to be a marshal, guiding people to the location of the rally. Upon arriving, however, I was assigned the task of keeping people from entering backstage unless they had press credentials. As a result, I got to meet several reporters and was even interviewed by one of them while at the rally! This was my first rally, and it was a great experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment