Sunday, April 7, 2013

Cherry Blossom Race


This Sunday, April 7th, was the day of the annual Cherry Blossom 10 mile race. Months ago I entered the lottery to participate and was so excited when I found out I had received a spot! Unfortunately, due to a persistent knee injury that has been keeping me from training, I ended up having to withdraw from the 10 mile race, but luckily there was a 5K fun race that I was able to participate in. I woke up early this morning, made my way over to the metro, and got off at the Smithsonian stop. Although on the trip to the starting line I had been feeling sad I wouldn’t be participating in the 10 mile course, the atmosphere of a road race cheered me up as soon as I got to the National Mall, and excitement took over. Because I got to the starting line early, I was able to watch and cheer on some of the 10 mile runners that were still waiting to cross the starting line. I even got to watch the elite women runners finish the course soon after others were just starting! The 5K course was very pretty, and I enjoyed jogging and walking it and taking in the sights of the cherry blossoms that haven’t quite bloomed yet... I’m hoping they’re here by next weekend! It was a great way to start my Sunday morning, and I went home happy to have spent a few hours in the DC sunshine with some fellow runners in the city. 
-Erika

 

No comments:

Post a Comment