Sunday, May 18, 2014

Bike Ride to Mount Vernon

I've always enjoyed cycling and am participating in Pelotonia this August, so of course I brought my bike to DC this summer! I have been investigating the DC area bike trails for the past two weeks and luckily bumped into a trail guide and got a bike map. Today I went on my first long ride to Mount Vernon and back, which was about 45 miles.

It was a beautiful day today and great to experience DC and Virginia by bike. I started out by going all the way down the mall to cross over to Virginia at Arlington Cemetery. Then I was onward south on the Mount Vernon Trail. I passed the Ronald Reagan airport and got to see some planes take off as I rode. Then I got to ride through Alexandria, which was really fun. The downtown area has a nice riverfront and a lot of stores and restaurants, there were a lot of people out and about on this beautiful Sunday. I would like to go spend time exploring Alexandria. I got to go under the Woodrow Wilson Memorial Bridge, which has a park and nice facilities. Most of the trail is right along the Potomac River offering really great water views.

After about an hour and a half I made it to Mount Vernon! I took a water break and rested for a bit before starting my trek back to The Congressional! I am excited to go to Mount Vernon and explore next Friday on our study tour.

I had a lot of fun biking down to Mount Vernon. It was pretty surreal to be doing my usual bike ride I would in Columbus but now passing some of the most historically significant sites in Washington along my way. I’m excited to test out all the different bike trails and routes over the course of the summer.

DC has a bike share program that charges $7 for 24 hours or $25 for a month for anyone who wants to go out and explore DC by bike! 

Andrew Zuk




Under Woodrow Wilson Memorial Bridge

Alexandria
 Made it to Mount Vernon!

No comments:

Post a Comment