Tuesday, May 13, 2014

EU Open House

Last weekend I was able to go to the EU Open House, a fantastic event where from 10am to 4pm, many embassies of the European Union opened their doors to visitors. The event was wonderfully set up with several different loops which each had their own free busses. Each of the embassies provided some local foods, beverages, and cultural tidbits.

The first Embassy I visited was the Austrian Embassy. I have always loved travelling through Austria because of the beautiful landscape and this Embassy Tour did not disappoint. They had my favorite chocolate wafer snacks which are unbelievably delicious (I might have taken a couple extra), Apfel Strudel for sale, and a chef who was making the Apfel Strudel in front of the audience.

After this we took a bus to the Dutch Embassy. Because I am a dual citizen (American and Dutch), I really wanted to visit the embassy to see what they would have from my home country. As soon as we came in we were given tickets for several different types of snacks. Someone came over with a cheese plate with three types of Dutch cheese on it. There was a long line at a stand that was making poffertjes (mini pancakes about an inch in diameter). When we walked inside we were told we could get a free Heineken sample, which was also great. After perusing about a while and meeting some of the people who worked in the Embassy, we moved on.


All in all, this was a great experience and really showcased the amazing opportunities D.C. has to offer. While I am still bummed I missed out on the Italian Pizza due to transportation difficulties, I could not have wished for a better day. 

Anne Maria van den Berg

No comments:

Post a Comment