Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Democracy in the House...Literally

Who thought putting 9 policy/political junkies in the same house would be a good idea?

My time at The Ohio State so far has been spent with mostly engineers and pre-med majors, so I was surprised, to say the very least, that every night in the WAIP house would be filled with political debates and screaming. I have to say, though I adore my friends back on campus, these nights have been the most intense and mind-opening conversations I have had. They always pop up when you least expect it.

For example:
Last weekend everyone seemed to be out of town, leaving 5 WAIPers, Luke, Christian, Matt, Farhad and myself, in the house. On that lazy Sunday, we decided to watch a movie, simple task, right? WRONG! No one could agree on a genre of movie, let alone a specific movie to watch. After 30 minutes of arguing, we decided to let democracy decide, and when I say democracy I mean the whole sha-bang. Votes were cast, veto’s were issued, coalitions were formed, backs were stabbed, cheesecake was bargained and one WAIPer even declared himself Speaker of the House.


Now that I’ve made it so interesting, I’m sure you’re DYING to know how everything turned out. Well, sadly, the Speaker’s movies disappeared by the second round, but I can proudly say one of mine reigned supreme! After about 2 hours of arguing, voting and arguing some more we watched the movie (The Loft), which actually turned out to be great. So, I guess the lesson to be learned here is democracy always wins! ….and never elect Christian as Speaker of the House. 

-Anastasia Martinez

No comments:

Post a Comment