Thursday, October 15, 2015

120 Miles of Bliss

It is nearing month two of my adventure in D.C., and as I sit here wondering what my favorite part has been, I realize the answer is more simple than I predicted it would be. Although I have thoroughly enjoyed my internship at the National Council of Nonprofits, the ever-so-fascinating tours of D.C.'s greatest landmarks, and the free meals while filling my brain with the best networking advice out there, it is the morning and evening commutes that are my favorite parts of the day, and ultimately my most cherished experience thus far in D.C.

As the weather has cooled down, it has become possible to walk the 2 mile trip to and from work each day without breaking into a seriously gruesome sweat. I decided to walk each day as I am eager to avoid the chaos of the Metro, burn off some of the weekly free pizza, and see this beautiful city in full force, and I now appreciate my walks more than I ever anticipated.

Every day I take note of the people I am passing and the sights I am seeing. In the 120 miles I've walked so far, I have passed important business men and women (and am always envying the women's professional wardrobes), government employers, tourists from all over the world, and of course many 8th graders on their school trips. Each day, my life is put into perspective as I pass the same man and his adorable Jack Russell laying on a bench outside of the Newseum with a sign that reads "needs contact lenses" and his prescription amount. I also, being the Mid-Westerner I am, say hi each day to the same men who stand outside of a restaurant on a corner waiting to open the doors for people. Not only do I love the variety of people I encounter, but how lucky am I to get to walk beside the Capitol Building, the National Archives, Ford's Theatre and more.

Although I have suffered severe blisters and clumsy injuries on these commutes (one of which led me to the nurse's office at the Capitol Building - another truly awesome experience), I look forward to my walk each and every day. It is a time to reflect, be inspired by the people around me, and truly appreciate my life in our amazing capital. And one of these days, I am going to do my best give the man on the bench the contacts he needs (and of course - treats for his dog).



-Virginia Turner

No comments:

Post a Comment