Thursday, October 15, 2015

When in Rome...

If I can say nothing else of Washington DC, it is that I am living in a city saturated with nerds. Granted, this particular breed of nerd happens to get the benefit of calling themselves “experts” or “wonks.” I, of course, have no qualms regarding my card carrying status as a member of the District of Columbia Nerd Club. As such, I accept the responsibility of attending large nerdy gatherings.

This week, I made it to a night at a beautiful historic Chinatown synagogue with one of the more controversial figures in modern economic history. As Chairman of the Federal Reserve during the financial crisis of 2008, Ben Bernanke is, in the course of any discussion on the topic, going to draw some controversy. Despite any such controversy, Mr. Bernanke is King Nerd to a nerd working on a degree in economics. And, just when you thought I had said the word enough, I further nerded upon the discovery that a ticket to join my fellow nerds at the nerd gathering came with an AUTOGRAPHED copy of his brand new book, The Courage to Act. Obviously I couldn’t be more excited to read it, but amid policy papers and study tours, how is a nerd to find the time?


Perhaps it can be my silver lining of the much-feared “life after DC.”


-Samuel Runta

No comments:

Post a Comment