Thursday, March 1, 2018

Dissent is Patriotic

Dissent is Patriotic by Matthew Bango

Being a citizen of Washington, it is easy to get stuck in the bubble of the Federal Government.  I have loved every minute that I have worked for my local Congresswoman on Capitol Hill and have grown a deep appreciation for the hard work that is conducted on behalf of a Representative's constituents.  While I believe that my office is doing the best thing for its citizens, days like the 2018 Women's March remind me that not everyone feels that way.  The Federal Government has a lot of problems and leaves many constituents feeling hopeless.  One of the best parts of being American is the First Amendment to the Constitution.  Dating back to the 18th century, our Federal Government has given its constituents the freedom to protest and to speak up against injustice.

The Women's March was the first large protest that I have been a part of.  The morning of the March, I was unsure if I was going to attend due to being exhausted from my first full week of work.  Through the inspiration of my fellow roommates, I decided to embark on this monumental experience.  That day, I chose to march for my Mom, my sister Emily, and all my female friends who have experienced bias or harassment in life.  It surprised me that the Women's March served as a platform for much more than standing up for Women.  The March served as a celebration of immigrants, LGBTQ+ individuals, and diversity.  I felt so empowered to go back to Capitol Hill and to play a part in correcting these injustices.  The Women's March had many inspiring moments but the one that sticks out most in my mind was when I walked past an older married couple.  This couple served as inspiration due to the fact that the husband was pushing his wife in a wheelchair as she was holding a sign with the word "Peace" on it.  If this couple could brave the elements with their health predicament in order to express their First Amendment rights, the least I could do is to use my opportunity on Capitol Hill to advocate on their behalf.  I will never use the word "exhausted" again when it comes to expressing the liberties that I take for granted.

I was so honored to walk with my amazing roommates and to be a part of history.  As Eisenstein once said, "If I were to remain silent, I'd be guilty of complicity." 

No comments:

Post a Comment