Friday, July 29, 2016

Met a stranger on the Megabus and now we are BESTIES! D.C. is weird like that.

Soooo I took a Megabus to Philadelphia one weekend to visit my boyfriend. Oh, how I love public transportation. Being the ambitious person that I am, I purchased a ticket for 4:00 p.m. knowing good and well our study tour did not end until 3:30 that day. Here I am, sitting in our final tour staring at the time. I watch the clock tick. Boy, this clock was moving faster than ever. 3:30 hits and Katy dismisses us and I am BOOKING it out of there. I mean heels in my hand and tennis shoes laced up on my feet. This pretty yellow dress was just going to have to show my sweat stains as I ran through the metro station cutting people off to hop on the next train. It is now 3:45 and Union Station is still so far away. I am starting to have a panic attack. I.CAN’T.MISS.THIS.BUS. The doors finally open to the Union Station stop at 3:56 and once again I am flying up escalators, knocking people over snd yelling my apologies, and sprinting as quickly as I can to that Philly cheesesteak. Oh, does Geno’s steak have my name written allllll over it. Well, I couldn’t think about that right then. 3:59 hits and I make it to the top of the stairs. I see the bus driver put his seat belt on and put the bus in reverse. Oh no no no you are not leaving here without me MISTER. I run in front of the bus like a mad man. He hits the brakes hard. He yells at me but I am determined to show him my ticket. “Thanks man. I really appreciate you stopping for me.” He rolls his eyes and says, “Like I had a choice. I couldn’t hit you.” I chuckle. But his face was stale. Anyway, I made it.

I was dripping sweat and my yellow dress showed every perspiration mark, but I just embraced it. It was 90 degrees but it felt like 120. I plopped down in my seat, and I put my face in my hands. As I peak through the crack of my fingers, I see a brown napkin being offered to me from my neighbor. “Thanks girl,” I said with a smile. I was so embarrassed. This poor girl had to sit next to me for the next 2 and a half hours and I smell like I just left the gym.

Time passed and I cooled down. I start reading my book that we had a quiz over on that next Monday. Of course I pulled out my laptop too to listen to my music. There it is! I opened my laptop and there lied my PROUD OSU stickers. The “napkin girl” notices and says “Ew!” Now, here I am thinking she is referring to my BO. I get really nervous. “You are an OSU student”, she shouted. I was so relieved that that is what she was over there "ew"’ing about. “Yes. Why?” She then pulls out her laptop and it is clear. There are a blue and yellow wolverine stickers sitting as boldly on her laptop hood as mine. “I am a 26-year-old proud alum,” she said with her chest.

OH. IT’S.ABOUT.TO.GO.DOWN.

Just kidding.

To make a really long story short, we had a really great conversation. Now, we are really good friends. We got the chance to hang out several times while in D.C. She took me to Virginia to hike in mountains with some of her coworkers. We even went to get our hair done together. (She even sold me her car.)
Moral of my story is: All Wolverines aren’t that bad. (:

Seriously, though, D.C. has some amazing people in it and it is sometimes so nerve-wracking to go out and meet new people, but connecting with others doesn’t always just happen at a formal event. You can meet someone on the metro or the bus. I even met the producer for NBC in line for breakfast at a restaurant before work and he gave me his card. Simply sparking conversation and being nice will take you a long way in this city. This blog wasn’t about my despise for that school up north or missing a bus. It was an example of how important it is to know how many great people are here in this beautiful city. Always be prepared to meet someone new. No matter what the circumstances are.


I don’t know! D.C. is just weird like that. (:

- Tinae Bluitt

No comments:

Post a Comment