Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Activity Checklist...and much more


As the weeks remaining in this internship are quickly being numbered, I begin to think about the wonderful experiences I have had over the course of the past several weeks. I vividly remember arriving out the outskirts of Washington D.C. and noticing the Capitol Dome peeking from within the trees and shrubbery. I shouted to my family to join me in staring in awe at my future home for 10 weeks. Once we arrived we aimlessly walked about the city, most likely we stood on the left hand side of the Metro escalators, behaved ourselves as tourists while gawking at motorcades and sirens (which I admittedly still do), and did everything possible to show to those around us that we were not Washingtonians. For a few days with the family, we attended the Friendship 7 exhibit, visited many National Monuments, and toured the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. While I was watching money being made in front of me, I can recall others absolutely amazed at the pallet of bills separated between them only by a incredibly strong pane of glass. I recall that the bills hadn't had as much of an effect on myself, and I knew it was because I used to work at a bank where handling money was routine. I was impressed, just not like the others, which led me to think "What will happen here which will in fact astound me so thoroughly that I will need to pinch myself to verify reality?" Little did I know that I was only weeks away from this. After my family left, I began to attempt to integrate myself, walking from shop to shop, and observing others to see what I could do to rid myself of my Columbus manners, and to be reborn a native of Capitol Hill. Time would tell. My first few weeks here included much sightseeing off of the Hill, National Cathedral, the Botanical Gardens, Folger Shakespeare Library, Library of Congress, etc. My first few weeks in the office were a Dream come true. As opposed to other interns who are stuck to administrative work, I was included in many meetings and office duties which seem to be reserved for non-interns in other offices. I began to realize that my amazement of my opportunities at work rivaled the amazement of those who were watching money being created with me weeks earlier. I dare to say that I was much more vigilant and gracious for what was transpiring at work, than many other interns. I began to fall in love with the mornings in which I would get the opportunity to spend another day in 113 Cannon House Office Building. Midway through the quarter is when the bread and butter of my memorable experiences may be recorded. Networking events, Private parties on the Hill, meeting leaders of different organizations, meeting ambassadors, and ultimately the interaction with congressmen, past and present, were so often happening that it began to seem perfunctory. Then I looked at my planner, and realized this dream world I was living in would soon end. As I was sitting in a congressional hearing regarding the stock market and its nearly 1000 point free fall, I was overcome with mixed feelings. I was saddened that I knew that those chances were limited, yet I was ecstatic to know that I would soon be home and recounting all these stories. I have been in the midst of it all. The most powerful country in the world has been my home and my employer. I only hope that as great as this experience has been, it will not tarnish the possibility of other internship opportunities in the future having as much of a profound effect on me. Yet, that may be the case, as I have considered these moments truly; once in a lifetime chances.

1 comment:

  1. "I was saddened that I knew that those chances were limited, yet I was ecstatic to know that I would soon be home and recounting all these stories."

    Sorry to say, storytelling is not nearly as fun as living it. Enjoy your last few weeks to the fullest.

    Mike M.

    ReplyDelete