Saturday, May 29, 2010

The US Capitol

The Capitol is an amazing place. Even after giving tours more times than I can remember, to groups that most would consider unruly, I love every time when I walk into that building. Earlier this week I made my way back over to the Capitol on my day off to give myself a tour and actually take the time to take pictures. The artwork, the artifacts, the architecture, the history, I love it all. I have learned many interesting facts and stories along the way. This place is one of the most recognizable sights in the country, if not world, and I was able to not only get to know the main layout, but to explore many of the places that are off limits to tourists, and on some occasions interns such as myself. From the dome tour, to the sub-basement and the area underneath the crypt, I went all over the place, trying to discover as much as possible. I would recommend a tour of the Capitol to everyone, it is an excellent learning experience, and the sights are quite breathtaking. You generally cover the CVC/Emancipation Hall, see a short film, go into the crypt, followed by the Old Supreme Court and the Old Senate, then heading into my favorite room, the Rotunda, then finishing up with statuary hall. All along the way, you get to here little interesting tidbits about the art, the rooms, and the people that the statues represent. Though a more personal tour can be set up through the office of your Representative, you can also show up day of and try to get a tour through one of the CVC tour guides.

SRF

No comments:

Post a Comment