Monday, August 16, 2010

Coffee at the White House






After procuring White House tickets from Senator Brown, clearing my absence from work with my boss at KHA, and handing over all of my personal identity information to Sen. Brown's staffer, I ventured to the White House Visitor Center last Friday afternoon.

And, after completing a maze of security inspection, Haley and I were finally able to set foot in the White House. Only to our surprise, we were welcomed with a warm greeting from First Lady Michelle Obama and the family dog, Bo.

Mrs. Obama offered us coffee, which we took graciously, and cookies which we had to decline due to my promise to return back to the office promptly for an important business meeting (and Haley's rather strict all juice diet).

We were, however, able to walk through the East Room, Green Room (my favorite), Blue Room, Red Room, and the State Dining Room. After a brief stay and some small talk with Michelle and the working secret servicemen, we exited through the hall where Princess Di and John Travolta were once photographed sharing a dance.

I'd highly recommend requesting tickets MONTHS in advance, unless of course you have a personal connection with the Pres.
Most tours are self led, so I doubt you'll be as lucky as Haley & I were to run into a few of its actual residents. Of course, it's worth a shot!

Unfortunately, no cameras are allowed. So, you'll have to take my word for it.

LT & HC

6 comments: