Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Informational Interview @ CSIS

On our activity checklist there is an option to "conduct an informational interview with someone from an organization reflecting your professional interests."

I decided that I wanted to talk to someone from the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS). My interests in the EU and the French language made me choose Heather Conley, Senior Fellow and Director of the European Program.

The Center for Strategic and International Studies is a bipartisan foreign policy think tank that was founded in 1964 by Admiral Arleigh Burke and Ambassador David Manker Abshire. CSIS focuses on all aspects of foreign and security policy. CSIS provides policy recommendations to decision-makers in the government, international institutions, private sector and civil society groups. CSIS is located on 1800 K Street.

Have you always been interested in International Studies?

Yes and No. I was really interested in theater in high school and I wanted to major in theater in college but my parents felt that International Studies was much more practical. I was always interested in policy work and international issues because I studied abroad.

What has been your career path?

I received a B.A. in International Studies at West Virginia Wesleyan College then I got my Masters in International Relations from John Hopkins. Prior to CSIS I served as a senior adviser to the Center for European Policy Analysis, an independent, nonpartisan public policy research institute. I also served as the executive director, Office of the Chairman of the Board of the American National Red Cross. From 2001–2005, I served as deputy assistant secretary of state in the Bureau for European and Eurasian Affairs. All my experiences have prepared me for my current job. Working in the State Department helped me better understand the government. Also, my fundraising skills at the Red Cross have allowed me to utilize those skills at CSIS.

What are the rewards that you get from your job? What gives you the most satisfaction?

What is most rewarding to me is when we have educated and informed people about an issue that people don't know a lot about. I find it satisfying helping people understand the complexities of IR. Speaking to a lot of groups, and bringing experts and scholars to compare "transatlantic notes" is also very rewarding because one gets to hear various perspectives.

What is your advice for seniors like me interested in International Studies after college?

-2 years or 3 years of work experience is a must, even if it is just a year. You need to gain long-term experience, longer than an internship. Also, you need a break, going straight to graduate school after undergrad is really stressful.

-Working before graduate school provides a much more rich analysis and experience in the classroom.

-Where you get your graduate degree is extremely important, choose wisely.

I truly enjoyed speaking with Heather, it was such a great opportunity to learn the different challenges she faces and the rewards of her job. I could definitely see myself working in her position in the future as a Director of a European or African Program.

-OI



1 comment:

  1. Nicely done. I think this is the first interview on this site.

    ReplyDelete