Friday, August 13, 2010

A Weekend in Georgetown


So this past weekend, my family came to town and I spent the weekend in Georgetown. This was my first sojourn to Georgetown this summer and I did a little more exploring than I have the past couple times I've been in DC. So here are a few highlights of the area…

The Georgetown Inn - the only hotel in the heart of Georgetown. This place has had a lot of famous guests over the years. Its first visitors were the Duke and Duchess of Windsor. A nice place but probably could use a little updating the TVs were older than I am.

The Old Stone House - The oldest residence in DC is in Georgetown. Its gone through several changes in its lifetime and now is a museum. Next door are some nice gardens that go along with the house, probably the only unused space on the main drag.

C&O Canal - the remnants of the canal system that used to go all through DC (mentioned by Len Shapiro all the way back in week1). It was full of algae but their were some nice restaurants and a walking/running path.

Washington Harbor - This was a great waterfront development project that is still going on. I remember years ago when I first came to DC and took a tour boat out of this area. Now, their are bunches of great restaurants and nightlife and a waterfront boardwalk. This is a great spot for views and food and just chilling.

Martin's Tavern - This was probably my favorite place that I went to. It has a lot of history to it. This is the place that JFK proposed to Jackie O (there is a plaque in the booth) and many famous politicians go/went on a regular basis including Nixon, Truman, and Madeline Albright (all with plaques in their booths too). It was a neat place owned and operated by 4 generations of Billy Martins.

Of course other great places in Georgetown to check out: Georgetown Cupcakes, Thomas Sweets, shopping, the university, etc…

All in all a fun weekend, I would recommend to anyone who hasnt made it over there yet to try and do so before the end of our brief time left here.

-Sean F

2 comments:

  1. Over the 4th of July I spent time in Georgetown with my family also.
    - I watched the fireworks from the Holy Rood Cemetery, on Wisconsin Ave. It was established in 1832, by the Holy Trinity Church and is now taken care of and owned by Georgetown University. It is said to have as many as 1,000 newly freed and still slaved African Americans.
    - Another notable stop was at Clydes of Georgetown. We stopped in after a long day of walking, got seated within 15 minutes (on a Saturday at 8pm), and had fantastic service. It seemed very old school, with wood floors, large booths, and 2 great wooden bars =) The best part of the experience was the food; I had the best crab cakes I have ever had and their french dip sandwich was awesome too! I recommend this restaurant to anyone, especially because, for the area, it was priced very reasonably.

    LS

    ReplyDelete