Monday, August 2, 2010


I finally got a chance to visit the Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery in Chinatown a few days ago. Once I got there, I couldn't believe I had put it off for so long. It is easily my new favorite Smithsonian to visit. The Conservation Center in the middle of the building was a beautiful area that gave a feeling of modern art and classiness to the incredibly Greek architecture surrounding it on the rest of the building. Connected to the National Portrait Gallery is the Smithsonian American Art Museum and I really enjoyed going back and forth in the museums to enjoy a wide variety of art. I would encourage everyone who has not had a chance to visit these museums to do so in the next couple of weeks before we go home.
I was especially interested in the modern portraits and the modern art on the opposite side of the buildling. Pictured here are my two favorite pieces: A painting of Pete Rose by Andy Warhol and a painting of John Glenn. The celebration of these important people in the portraits helped me feel a link between the future and the past. Maybe one day I will have my portrait on display at the National Portrait Gallery - one can only hope.
-Haley

No comments:

Post a Comment