Sunday, October 30, 2011

Beautiful Things


Last weekend a few loyal Buckeyes came to visit me in DC, and somehow we managed to get in most of the sites in DC in one day. One of our stops was the Botanical Gardens.

The Botanical Gardens are divided by climate and as you walk through you see plants you never knew existed and the beauty of the whole scene is calming and peaceful to say the least. I am disappointed I have not visited this oasis, this little slice of paradise, right around the corner from our apartment before now.

Don't get me wrong, I love my internship with the Initiative Against Sex Trafficking. I enjoy researching, thinking about and participating in discussions about how this modern day slavery. However I would be lying if I said it wasn't upsetting and depressing half the time. The evil of this world and the scope of this grave human rights violation often leaves me feeling paralyzed. And so I am very thankful for this conservatory that has preserved beautiful things that our earth has so graciously made. These flowers and trees remind me that life is a gift and that there is good in the world that we must try to preserve and protect.

I wish more people, including myself (though I am probably one of few hippies in DC), visited these gardens to take a moment to remember that there is inherent good and beauty in our world and it is our responsibility to preserve and protect that.
-G

No comments:

Post a Comment