Saturday, October 1, 2011

Late Night Monuments


Last night, Gia, Alexandra, & I went out last night to visit the National Mall and some of the many monuments and memorials that are there. I came in expecting just a long walk in the dark to see ill-lit national treasures. But, what I got was the complete opposite. I have a greater appreciation for the monuments and memorials that we visited last night. In all, we visited the Washington Monument, which dazzles in the midnight; the World War II Memorial, which is by far the most breathtaking of them all at night because of the quiet reverence and solemn beauty of the memorial; the Korean War Memorial, which has a life-like feel at night because of the free standing statues of veterans on patrol; the Lincoln Memorial, which is a fortress of hope and peace and justice for a man who united this nation at its darkest time; and, the new Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial, which is a true beacon of hope for future.

We took many pictures, had deep conversations, enjoyed the meaning of the moment, and simply got to know each other better during this time. I think it was one of the best times that I've had here, so far. I really enjoyed the patience and gravity of the meaning of these memorials at night as opposed to the rush of simply traveling to each of them during the day. The low crowds made it intimate and deep. The darkness gave a context of the times that many of these memorial represent. But, it all shows the courage, honor, and unity of this nation.


I was proud to be an American that night. I only hope everyone gets to share that experience.



"Out of the mountain of despair, a stone of hope" ---MLK



KAL

No comments:

Post a Comment