Monday, October 10, 2011


This was my second time to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall, and it probably will not be my last. The memorial is peaceful, sad and humbling all at the same time. It really is bitter sweet. My father's brother, my uncle and my namesake was not drafted, but he enlisted into the Army as a medic in 1968. His tour began on September 5, 1968 and he was killed in action by a hostile explosive device on October 7, 1968 in Binh Duong, South Vietnam. He was barely in theater a month when he was killed. This devastated my grandmother, grandfather and her 11 other children. I remember my grandma telling me stories about when he would write letters. He would write and say that it was a senseless war. He prayed to God every day that it would end so he and his fellow soldiers could come home safely. He had just graduated college with a degree in accounting from the University of Akron. He was also engaged and was going to get married when he returned. He had his whole life ahead of him. But he never did come back. It makes me so very proud to bear his name. I plan to return to this memorial before I leave here this quarter. I will be sure to visit specifically panel 41W - Line 24.

No comments:

Post a Comment