Thursday, December 1, 2011

Best views in D.C.?


The best views in Washington D.C. are without a doubt, the views that are unrestricted.  I was given an opportunity to take part in a Capitol Dome tour.   This provides a breathtaking 360 degree view of the city.  This is a tour that is not well known and I would encourage everyone to try and experience.  It's not easy, but it's not impossible.  The tour can be set up through your representative's office.  The tour requires that the representative or chief of staff accompany you.  However, if your office is not giving tour I would request to piggy-back another some tour.  It never hurts to ask.  It is important to note that this is a tour that climbs 300-400 steps.  There is no elevators or escalators, but it is completely worth it.



My personal favorite has been the view from the Speaker's balcony.  This has been the greatest perk of my internship.  I have loved having the opportunity to show it fellows, constituents, and family.  Looking out on the mall, the view is centered on the Washington Monument which cuts the Lincoln Memorial in halves.


On a personal level, it has been inspiring.  When I sit on the balcony, which I try to do as often as possible, I can't help but be impressed, thankful, and motivated.  I am impressed because of the Speaker is a man who has earned his title.  He is hard working, determined, and deserves his success.  I am thankful for having the opportunity to take part in this program, and having the support system back home to push myself to remain ambitious.  Most of all, the view from the balcony is motivating.  I ask myself, "Why not me?"

AA

No comments:

Post a Comment