Thursday, December 1, 2011

Turkish Embassy

Although a little delayed, I wanted to share my experience at the Turkish Embassy. The seminar class headed to the embassy during one of our Friday afternoon field trips. We were especially anxious about the visit due to on-going turmoil between the Greek and Turkish Cypriots, as we had a Greek Cypriots among us.
The aspect I enjoyed most about the visit was seeing how diplomats interact. Our host spoke calmly and neutrally about all topics, even some of the most controversial ones such as our troop removal from Iraq and Afghanistan. Our host gave us a diligent history of Turkey and highlighted its unique and honorable democracy.
Secondly, the trip enlightened my view of foreign affairs. I have always focused on policy areas that affect me directly or those I know so it was advantageous to open my eyes to the realm of international affairs. The trip to the Turkish Embassy emphasized a unique and extremely beneficial between the United States and Turkey's western democracy surrounded by eastern-world philosophies.
-AKW

No comments:

Post a Comment