Sunday, January 22, 2012

Crab Cakes and Football


Crab Cakes and Football 

Last weekend I had a wonderful opportunity to visit our nation’s former capital, Annapolis Maryland.  One of my best friends from high school is a senior at the Naval Academy, and she invited me to watch the women’s Army vs. Navy basketball game.  For anyone familiar with sports rivalries, Army/Navy is one of the best.  The game did not disappoint, and came down to the final seconds with Navy edging past Army by two.

After the game, my friend, Sarah, took me on a tour of the Naval Academy grounds.  During this tour I learned that only Juniors and Seniors could sit on benches (if this were true at OSU, I would of sat on a bench everyday Junior year) and walking on the grass was completely prohibited.  We then proceeded to walk around Annapolis and look at the historical sites from when Annapolis was the capital.  I really enjoyed this part because it was not hard to imagine George Washington and the like riding through the middle of town.  It was also interesting to note the simplicity of the structures as compared to the grandeur of our present Capitol building.

The area really embodied how I pictured an East Coast town to be (As I told Sarah, my first memorable conceptualization of an East Coast town was Amity Island from Jaws, and aside from the whole shark thing, I thought it looked like great place to visit.)  It was nice to get away from the bustling crowd of DC and walk around a more condensed area, with a great variety of local restaurants and shops.
All in all, Annapolis was fantastic; I really fell in love with the area.  It is an area with such a rich history, and it was great to just walk around on a lazy Saturday afternoon.
KM

No comments:

Post a Comment