Sunday, January 8, 2012

Here, There, and Everywhere


Dear Folks –

Here lies the pitfall of multitasking: currently, I am reading The Letters of Ernest Hemmingway 1907-1922, a perfect gift from my friend Nick a few weeks back, and I’m finding myself being forced write in letter format, so please don’t mind the style.  I wish all of Columbus could experience one week of living in DC.  The grandiosity of Capitol Hill and the surrounding Mall make any building on High Street look like a dollhouse, but what I am really enjoying so far are tiny adventures that I know will be adding up over the next three months or so, while I am even more certain I will be leaving the capital with six wonderful new friends.

Not having my internship until this coming Monday, I had the chance to snoop around Georgetown for a decent amount of time this week.  Considering it is my top choice for grad school, I wanted explore an area of the city that I will (hopefully) be spending a good portion of the next two years in.
Wisconsin Ave., with all of its shops, restaurants, and bars could occupy me for days straight (I can’t wait to take the group there), and the gigantic Romanesque bell tower of Healy Hall surely reminded me that I was not in Columbus anymore, Toto.  But a certain number of objects really grabbed my attention after hopping off of the Yellow Line Circulator, which I still have to investigate.



DC had a flourishing Trolley System that ran throughout Georgetown; I happened to come across a remaining section on a side street.  It turns out there is a National Capital Trolley Museum in Montgomery County, MD, which will be celebrating the 50th anniversary of the end of streetcar usage in DC on January 28th (DC Transit Day).

John Carroll founded Georgetown in 1789 – something I had never known before seeing this statue of him in front of Healy Hall.

And this is a Jumbo Slice.  What a heavenly place we live that I can stop for what I expected to be a small snack, and instead leave with arteries filled with Mozzarella and grease.  This specific slice was from Pizza Movers on Wisconsin, but I know my journey will not be complete until I reach Pizza Mart in Adams Morgan on a late night escapade.

Next week, vlog,
ZR

No comments:

Post a Comment