Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Feels Like Home

As my second week of work is coming to an end I find myself stunned that I feel quite at home in this monumental city. This is quite the opposite of what I expected from this adventure with the WAIP program. My conjecture was that I would be walking with my head in the cherry blossoms for weeks to come while feeling overwhelmed by the sudden change of my residence, friends, classes and last but not least having a job to go to every day. I can’t say that I am disappointed.

Sitting at lunch yesterday afternoon, soaking up the gorgeous DC weather, I found myself wondering if this was in fact any resemblance to what the people that built our Nation’s capital had in mind, people such as Alexander Hamilton, Thomas Jefferson, and James Madison that have been discussed already in seminar. I am sure they were not thinking of the sky scrapers, sidewalks full of men in ties and women in heels, which I might add have done a number to my feet for it only being day ten.  They most likely didn’t even project the amount of people that it takes to run this city and the country as a whole, but I believe that they did have knowledge of what they wanted this city to mean.

From reading the documents that these founding fathers created to admiring this grand and historical city, I believe they meant for it to mean home to so many. Perhaps that is why I am so comfortable at only week two of this adventure, because although it may not be my permanent residence, it still means home in many more figurative ways.  

-Shannon Ryan


No comments:

Post a Comment