Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Weekend Escape

This past Saturday, April 21st, Alex and myself decided to take a little day trip up to the city of brotherly love. We used the popular bus service Megabus, and it was really quite fun. I was expecting it to be a cramped smelly tour bus, similar to those we took while in high school. To my surprise we were riding up on a huge 84 seat double-decker bus, it was basically an airplane on wheels. Now of course I had to sit on the top level and I was glad I did. As we came into the city I could see above all the other cars surrounding us, I was really surprised to see miles and miles of seemingly abandoned industrial sprawl. It reminded me of driving around old closed down factories in northern Ohio.

When we disembarked at the Amtrack station on 30th street, we faced quite a long walk to get to our destination, Independence Hall, nearly 3 miles across the city. As we walked there we were really surprised at the sheer lack of people in the downtown area. Aside from a few locals Alex and I were the only people on the street. It was very unusual and especially shocking considering how D.C. is always bubbling with people. Even the malls were practically deserted!

Eventually we got to our destination, but were a little bummed because they actually charge admission! After weeks of free museums and historical monuments we did not anticipate being charged again. So we just stuck to as many free exhibits as we could, we managed to get some good pictures of the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall, it was a very nice day so we didn't mind taking our time. By this time it was only about 3pm, our bus didn't leave until 9 that night. Fortunately I have family in the Philadelphia area and my cousin came over and hung out with us and took us to dinner at Pat's King of Steaks. One of the classic philly cheese steak restaurants and man was it good. I ate way too much but it was worth it. Unfortunately I may have ruined all future cheese steaks for me because I may not have another one that good until I go back. I really enjoyed seeing my cousin, I hadn't seen her in several years and dinner with her was easily the highlight of the day. The way back was much better, mainly because my cousin drove us back and we drove through what was evidently the night life center of the city. It looked like a lot of fun.

This is just my experience of a weekend getaway, I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested. Megabus goes to almost every major city along the east coast and is very affordable. I had a great time Saturday, hopefully someone will take my advice and take a day trip of their own.

Zach Prouty

No comments:

Post a Comment