Monday, September 10, 2012

First Day as a Foreign Policy Intern

A couple of weeks ago marked my first day as a Foreign Policy Intern at the German Marshall Fund of the United States. The day started off with a commute that was surprisingly smooth, until I realised my walking directions were inaccurate. As the sole person in the DMV without a smartphone, I reverted to the training I received from my retired military officer parents and managed to find my way to the German Marshall Fund by using the position of the sun and the angle the sunlight hit the buildings.

As an international organization strongly tied to Europe, I was warmly welcomed to the company by a diverse and cultured staff of GMF. After orientation, I was shown my work-space. Walking onto the third floor, I expected to hear "The Office" theme song music playing in the background. I must mention that I am so lucky to be working with such a friendly and energetic staff! The worst part of the day was the training I had to undergo in order to use GMF's database. However, it was cut short when one of my supervisors asked me to do her a favor.

In my mind, I knew this was the moment referenced by all interns: the inevitable and often habitual coffee run.   I was pleased that I felt I had a say in the matter; she genuinely asked me whether or not I minded running this errand. So, I pasted on a genuine smile and answered with a wholehearted "Absolutely!" So imagine my surprise, and imagine, if you can, my jaw dropping to the floor when my supervisor said, "Do you mind running this over to the British Embassy for me? It's too far to walk, so you'll have to take a cab, and you can go straight home afterwards." Did I mind? Did I mind!? Of course not!! My heart did palpitations, I was so excited to run this Very Important Errand to the British Embassy!!

This internship rocks.

#WAIPAU2012

-Jade Adair

No comments:

Post a Comment