Saturday, November 3, 2012

Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month in the District

There were multiple events around the district celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month. Many of these events are long standing traditions in DC and I was very excited to be able to participate in them. I went to art galleries and other smaller events hosted by the Smithsonian, something I have always wanted to do in DC. My favorite events overall were festivals I went to at the National Zoo and another one downtown on Pennsylvania Avenue. It was really refreshing to be surrounded by Spanish speakers again and I found a lot of my favorite treats that I miss from home. Although the crowd make up was overwhelmingly of El Salvadorans, I definitely found significant representation of Mexican food, vendors, live music, and traditional dance performances. 


Photo from Washington Hispanic, "Más de 100 mil en Fiesta DC." 
The second festival I went to was Fiesta DC. It was very well attended, with reports of over 100,000 people at the festival. It was a huge one-day event that hosted three large stages, many vendors, a lot of local nonprofits and community organizations, and of course a large parade representing the multitudes of cultures from all over Latin America. I was wonderfully surprised to find a solo performance from Pee Wee, member of former boy band Kumbia Kings and my middle school crush.

This year Hispanic Heritage Month was also a bit more interesting as President Obama signed a proclamation in recognition of Hispanic Heritage Month in September and established the Cesar E. Chaves National Monument in October. Even when WAIP went on a tour of the White House there were paintings displayed from Latino artists. It’s always refreshing to experience your heritage history acknowledged and celebrated in mainstream venues.

Written by Amber Seira  | @amber_seira

No comments:

Post a Comment